Topics

Skywarn Training for South Texas

davidftx <davidftx@...>

Larry Eblen, from the National Weather Service, gave a great
presentation at last night's meeting about Skywarn and amateur radio's
value to the NWS.

He has posted the following information regarding Skywarn training in
South Texas which starts tomorrow in Austin.

Please note that the San Antonio date is the same as the regularly
scheduled VE test session. This will be a large session and we are
needing volunteers to assist.

------------------------------------------------------------------------&#92;
-

All,

This is just a short reminder - our schedule of regional Skywarn
Conferences begins tomorrow. You can find a schedule of all our Skywarn
Training Classes - both regional and county programs - on the web at:
www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/skytrn.htm
<http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/skytrn.htm>

The first regional Conference will be held in Austin from 8:15 am to
4:15 pm tomorrow at the J.J. Pickle Center on Burnet Road.
Details are available at:
www.utexas.edu/depts/grg/kimmel/SKYWARN2007.html
<http://www.utexas.edu/depts/grg/kimmel/SKYWARN2007.html>

The second regional Conference will be held in Uvalde from 9:00am to
3:30 pm on Saturday, February 17, in Tate Auditorium at Southwest Texas
Junior College.
Details are available at: www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/uvagenda.pdf
<http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/uvagenda.pdf> .

The third regional Conference will be held in San Antonio from 8:00 am
to 4:00 pm on Saturday, February 24, in Bonilla Science Hall at the
University of the Incarnate Word.
Details are available at: www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/skygenda.pdf
<http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/skygenda.pdf>

Our final regional Conference will be held in Kerrville from 8:00 am to
12:15 pm on Saturday, March 3, at the Inn of the Hills.
Details are available at: www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/keragenda.pdf
<http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ewx/html/keragenda.pdf> .

Each of these will include a Basic Skywarn Class as well as an Advanced
Skywarn Class, with some outstanding additional speakers on topics from
safety to building partnerships to reading radar. They are open to all
- spotters, emergency managers and planners, first responders, Amateur
Radio Operators, city and county officials, teachers, students - and the
public in general. There is no charge - just show up and learn.

One short mention about weather. . .we will see another strong cold
front move into South Central Texas on Monday morning. With warm, moist
air returning to South Texas on Sunday, and very cold air aloft driving
this front, we could have some isolated severe storms Monday morning.
They would be more likely to occur along and east of a Bastrop to
Lockhart to Seguin to Floresville line.

Larry