Topics

QRP Breakfast TOMORROW!

Monty N5ESE <n5ese@...>

Well, I hope the San Antonio QRPers got together and had the QRP Breakfast & Show-and-Tell. I doubt very seriously that any from Austin made it down there. I started south on I-35 at 5 AM this morning, and made it about 2 exits at 25 mph in the downpouring rain (hydroplaning at 45 mph), and realized it was not just dumb, but crazy to continue. So as much as I enjoy the QRP comraderie, we had to blow it off entirely.

Somebody tell me us Austin Bubbas how things went...

73,
monty N5ESE
http://www.dit-dididit-dit.com

At 08:26 AM 1/11/2007, you wrote:
I'll be there. It's early (ugh) but it's fun...

After we finish breakfast, we'll go get in line for the swapfest opening.
It's a small 'fest, but worth it. Each 'fest has its own flavor, and San
Antonio is unique. But an hour-and-a-half (twice around slowly), and I'll
probably be done, and headed back to Austin for the AQRP Club meeting.

I'll set up the car to work 40 Meters CW both ways - QRP, of course - so
if you happen to be on band, listen for the peanut whistle.

And if I don't see you in SA, I'll see you at Alvin's ;-)

73,
monty N5ESE

---------------------
Reposted Info Follows
---------------------

In memory of our dear friend Fred Bonavita, K5QLF (SK),
who so enjoyed this breakfast, we'll again enjoy our
annual QRP Breakfast & Show-and-Tell before the San
Antonio Swapfest opens.

Please join me and bring your homebrew (or other) QRP
stuff for "show-and-tell" at 7 AM at:

Taqueria Guanajuato in the community of Mingus Corner,
near the intersection of FM 2536 and Loop 1604. The place
opens at 6 AM, and breakfast will start around 7 (+/-).
Mingus Corner is about 1 mile south of the swap site,
and the taqueria is on the left (if your southbound).

The swap again will be at Little Joe's Country Gold,
which is on FM 2536. Set up starts at 7 AM for those
who purchased tables, and the doors open at 8 AM.

Here's a map for those who get lost every year (like I do):

http://www.io.com/~n5fc/swapfest_in_san_antonio.gif

Below, is Fred's narrative description of how to get to the taqueria (it's
easy to miss in the dark), from last year's invitation message.

Please let me have a head count (for the QRP breakfast), if you plan to
attend, just mainly so I can post potential participation and stake out a
table or two when I get there.

For those coming from the north on I-35 or US 281 or from
the east on I-10, get on I-35 south toward Laredo. Take
Loop 410 west from I-35 South. Take the second exit from
I-35 onto FM 2536, go left under the overpass and go 1.6
miles. Little Joe's is on the right, and the taqueria is about 1 mile
south, on the left.

For those coming from the south on I-37 or I-35, turn west
at Loop 1604, follow it to FM 2536, turn right and look for
the taqueria on the right. Those coming from the west, take
Loop 1604 to the south, turn left at FM 2536 and watch for
the taqueria.

73,
monty N5ESE

Via the Austin QRP Club list
Yahoo! Groups Links

davidftx <davidftx@...>

Hi Monty:

I don't know what kind of turn out the QRPers had, but I hope that at
least some of them got together. I got up at 3:00am with the
lightning and was at the SwapFest before 6:00am to help set up.

Some Austinites did make it though and we were glad to see them. Of
course during the SwapFest we heard that they were shutting down
streets in Austin and about the tornado in San Marcos. No telling
where those guys are now, they may be camping out in Cabela's parking
lot in Buda.

David
K5OLE