Topics

FCC Eliminates Morse Code Requirements for All Amateur Radio Licenses

davidftx <davidftx@...>

Read it here: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
269012A1.pdf

They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to 3635
KHz portion of 75 meters.

David

davidftx <davidftx@...>

--- In W5SC@..., "davidftx" <davidftx@...> wrote:

Read it here: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
269012A1.pdf

They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to 3635
KHz portion of 75 meters.

David

Paul Guido

David,

I just read the news. This makes creating a General Class Study Guide even
more important when the new General Question pool is released in January.

73

Paul Guido, N5IUT

On 12/15/06, davidftx <davidftx@...> wrote:

Read it here: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
269012A1.pdf

They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to 3635
KHz portion of 75 meters.

David

Schuylar CRIST <skyskyrider@...>

If the question pool will change for General Class in January, how quickly might QRZ.com revamp their pool?

I have been using that site to study for the written exam for some time.

In His service,
Schuylar Crist
73 de KE5VIP

IT/Media Director, South Texas Republicans P.A.C.
Media Relations Director, McCurdy for Mayor
State News Editor, GOPUSA.com
Chapter Leader for San Antonio, Minuteman Civil Defense Corps
Vice-President, Bexar County Right to Life
(210) 663-6093 (Cell)
Matthew 25:40
John 15:13

I just read the news. This makes creating a General Class Study Guide even
more important when the new General Question pool is released in January.

73

Paul Guido, N5IUT

On 12/15/06, davidftx <davidftx@...> wrote:

Read it here: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
269012A1.pdf

They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to 3635
KHz portion of 75 meters.

David

Yahoo! Groups Links

davidftx <davidftx@...>

Yes, but we need to accomodate those who have been studying the
current pool and were stuck on the code. The current pool will be
valid until July or so, will it not?

--- In W5SC@..., "Paul Guido" <radioteacher@...> wrote:

David,

I just read the news. This makes creating a General Class Study
Guide even
more important when the new General Question pool is released in
January.

73

Paul Guido, N5IUT

On 12/15/06, davidftx <davidftx@...> wrote:

Read it here:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
269012A1.pdf

They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to
3635
KHz portion of 75 meters.

David

The General License question pool will be released in January 2007, but
doesn't take effect until July 1st 2007.

They release the pool of questions early so folks who don't plan on taking
the test until then, can study using the correct test questions.

What you are studying on QRZ.com will be in effect until July 1, 2007, so
keep studying.

At 03:47 PM 12/16/2006, you wrote:

If the question pool will change for General Class in January, how quickly
might QRZ.com revamp their pool?

I have been using that site to study for the written exam for some time.

In His service,
Schuylar Crist
73 de KE5VIP
73 de N5NTG Lee W. Besing San Antonio, Texas
(210)771-7075 mobile

Schuylar CRIST <skyskyrider@...>

Thanks Lee!

Now, as a result of these changes...what bands can a Tech work? Are any new Voice privileges given?

[...]

Pat Knight AD5BR <ad5br@...>

The General tests from now through June 30, 2007 will still be based on the "old" pool.

The pool is NOT changing in January. The "new" question pool for the General License will be RELEASED in January, but July 1, 2007 is when the the pool goes into effect. July 1 is when exams will be based on that new pool of questions. Publishers of study guides, sites, and software, and instructors need the lead time to have materials ready for July 1.

I have applied stickers from ARRL/VEC to the current General and Extra exams to replace a few (no longer valid) questions with other questions from the current question pool. People will still be taking the "old" tests, so study the manual you now have.

Remember that online tests don't always cover every question in the pool. The current question pool (valid now through June 30, 2007) can be downloaded from:

http://www.ncvec.org/downloads/2004general.pdf

This page lists the questions that have been eliminated from the pool:

http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=338

73,
Pat AD5BR

If the question pool will change for General Class in January, how quickly
might QRZ.com revamp their pool?

I have been using that site to study for the written exam for some time.

In His service,
Schuylar Crist
73 de KE5VIP

IT/Media Director, South Texas Republicans P.A.C.
Media Relations Director, McCurdy for Mayor
State News Editor, GOPUSA.com
Chapter Leader for San Antonio, Minuteman Civil Defense Corps
Vice-President, Bexar County Right to Life
(210) 663-6093 (Cell)
Matthew 25:40
John 15:13

I just read the news. This makes creating a General Class Study Guide even
more important when the new General Question pool is released in January.

73

Paul Guido, N5IUT

On 12/15/06, davidftx <davidftx@...> wrote:

> Read it here: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
> 269012A1.pdf
>
> They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to 3635
> KHz portion of 75 meters.
>
> David

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Schuylar CRIST <skyskyrider@...>

Thanks Pat!

Got the pool downloaded and saved. Glad to see the answers with the questions to. I didn't notice the answers at first glance.

In His service,
Schuylar Crist
73 de KE5VIP

IT/Media Director, South Texas Republicans P.A.C.
Media Relations Director, McCurdy for Mayor
State News Editor, GOPUSA.com
Chapter Leader for San Antonio, Minuteman Civil Defense Corps
Vice-President, Bexar County Right to Life
(210) 663-6093 (Cell)
Matthew 25:40
John 15:13

I just read the news. This makes creating a General Class Study Guide
even
more important when the new General Question pool is released in January.

73

Paul Guido, N5IUT

On 12/15/06, davidftx <davidftx@...> wrote:

> Read it here: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-
> 269012A1.pdf
>
> They also refused the ARRL's petition to reconsider the 3600 to 3635
> KHz portion of 75 meters.
>
> David

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Links

davidftx <davidftx@...>

At the time it takes effect, which is likely to be late January, Techs
and Tech Pluses are equalized. That gives all Techs phone priviledges
at 28.3-28.5 MHz plus all the Tech+ CW HF bands. CW will not go away
because of the ruling and will be around when I am gone. There is lots
of CW available for the Technician on 80, 40, 15, and 10. At this point
in the solar cycle (bottom) it is not a great time for 10 Meters. But
it is not dead and opens up every once in awhile. 28.200 NCDXF/IARU
beacons (STAY OFF OF THIS FREQUENCY) Many Hams rely on these beacons for
propagation determination. For Details - see NCDXF/IARU International
Beacon Network <http://www.ncdxf.org/Beacon/intro.html> (beacons are a
valuable resource at HF-df) 28.380 10/10 SSB Intl Calling Frequency
28.385 QRP SSB Calling frequency 28.425 10/10 SSB Intl Calling
Frequency – Another is 28.400
28.495 SSB Rare DX & DXpeditions Frequently Operate Here -- Split