Proposed ordinance for San Antonio

Tom O'Brien

This item is on the agenda for the Thursday October 7 San Antonio City Council meeting.

"RECOMMENDATION:

Staff recommends Amending Chapter 19, Article VII of the City Code, by adding a new section under Section 19, which will prohibit the use of a hand-held mobile communications device to send, read, or write a text message, or engage in any other use of the device besides dialing telephone numbers or talking to another person, while operating a motor vehicle, and providing for a fine of up to $200 per violation."

How will this apply to your ham radio mobile operation?

1. APRS?
2. D-STAR?
3. changing channel on your handie?
4. other?

The ordinance is supposed to prevent internet texting, websurfing, watching movies, etc., using mobile phones. What can we do to assure that this dragnet ordinance doesn't inadvertently catch radio amateurs?

The background memo for the ordinance is at

https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/agendabuilder/RFCAMemo.aspx?RId=6548

73TomAB5XZ

Louis Upton

Looks like some SA Hams need to call their City Council person and express concerns, and have a clarification added to exempt FCC Licensed Operators, much as they did with the school zone Ordinance.

K5STX

--- In W5SC@yahoogroups.com, Tom O'Brien <tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Louis,

You are right, in that FCC Licensed Ops need to be exempted from this ordinance.
The San Antonio ordinance on operating in School Zones is 19-254 and it does not exempt FCC licensed operators.
The Texas Transportation Code section 545-425 *does* exempt FCC licensed operators, and it specifically pre-empts local ordinances.

We intend to work with the writers of the ordinance to get the right language in place. ARRL Volunteer Counsel will be working with some local hams.

SA hams who would like to help with this should contact AB5XZ@arrl.net

73TomAB5XZ
San Antonio, TX

[...]

Mike Check K5UCQ

Aren't they voting on it today?

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Tom O'Brien <tpobrienjr@earthlink.net>wrote:

Louis,

You are right, in that FCC Licensed Ops need to be exempted from this
ordinance.
The San Antonio ordinance on operating in School Zones is 19-254 and it
does not exempt FCC licensed operators.
The Texas Transportation Code section 545-425 *does* exempt FCC licensed
operators, and it specifically pre-empts local ordinances.

We intend to work with the writers of the ordinance to get the right
language in place. ARRL Volunteer Counsel will be working with some local
hams.

SA hams who would like to help with this should contact AB5XZ@arrl.net<AB5XZ%40arrl.net>

73TomAB5XZ
San Antonio, TX

--- In W5SC@yahoogroups.com <W5SC%40yahoogroups.com>, Tom O'Brien
<tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike,

There is no ordinance yet. There is just a Request for Council Ation (RFCA R-6548), from the Police Department (Assitant Chief Garcia) and Assistant City Manager (Erik Walsh). That's what the Council will act on, probably directing somebody to draft an ordinance.

73TomAB5XZ

<tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles Land

Yes, they are voting today. As I read this, while we always want more
clarity, it does not prohibit talking on a radio device. It just prohibits
texting or activities other than talking. Seems that covers what ham ops
do. If it is interpreted to interfere with "talking", then it would appear
to ban police use of their radios, as well as every other government
employee use of mobile radios.
I don't see where we have a problem???

<tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Charles,

The council is not voting on an ordinance today, because there *is no* ordinance. There is a Request for Council Action, which gives the reasoning and describes the functional change that is desired. The RFCA was written by an Assistant Chief and an Assistant City Manager. What the Council will likely do is direct someone to draft an ordinance.

<tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

[...]

Sincerely,
Tom O'Brien
San Antonio, Texas

Bart Stavisky <bart_stavisky@...>

Yahoo is reporting that the ordinance passed and is going into
effect in 5 days with a 90 day grace period..

The council is not voting on an ordinance today, because there *is no* ordinance. There is a Request for Council Action, which gives the reasoning and describes the functional change that is desired. The RFCA was written by an Assistant Chief and an Assistant City Manager. What the Council will likely do is direct someone to draft an ordinance.

> You are right, in that FCC Licensed Ops need to be exempted from this
> ordinance.
> The San Antonio ordinance on operating in School Zones is 19-254 and it
> does not exempt FCC licensed operators.
> The Texas Transportation Code section 545-425 *does* exempt FCC licensed
> operators, and it specifically pre-empts local ordinances.
>
> We intend to work with the writers of the ordinance to get the right
> language in place. ARRL Volunteer Counsel will be working with some local
> hams.
>
> SA hams who would like to help with this should contact
AB5XZ@arrl.net<AB5XZ%40arrl.net>

> 73TomAB5XZ
> San Antonio, TX

Sincerely,
Tom O'Brien
San Antonio, Texas

Louis Upton

Although this is ordinance is a long time coming, enforcement will be tough. Also, recent studies have found in areas that have the bans, that accidents involving texting or other non-voice use of cell phone have increased, due to the fact that people are still texting, but trying to hide it, thus looking away from the road even more.

The only fix, is technology that already exist, and was studied several years ago. The cell phone manufacturers enter a simple script in the phones coding, which disables certain functions while the phone is in motion (i.e. above a set speed). Every phone manufactured today has the ability to be flashed on the fly, as well as the gps tracking function. So it would be simple!

Such a strategy would not effect Amateur Radio.

But, the threat of the perceived political fallout prevents the lawmakers from making the move!

Louis

--- In W5SC@yahoogroups.com, Tom O'Brien <tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

Louis,

You are right, in that FCC Licensed Ops need to be exempted from this ordinance.
The San Antonio ordinance on operating in School Zones is 19-254 and it does not exempt FCC licensed operators.
The Texas Transportation Code section 545-425 *does* exempt FCC licensed operators, and it specifically pre-empts local ordinances.

We intend to work with the writers of the ordinance to get the right language in place. ARRL Volunteer Counsel will be working with some local hams.

SA hams who would like to help with this should contact AB5XZ@...

73TomAB5XZ
San Antonio, TX
<snip snip>

Lew Archer <usxpop@...>

A stray thought on the simple fix. If the phone is made incapable of certain functions, it may keep the driver from using that function, but it would also keep anyone else in the vehicle from using the function.  A passenger should having full capability of the cell phone since it does not present a danger, and is not a distraction to riding.  As I said, just a thought.  Lew, W0YVY

[...]

I would like to have a car automatically turn off the stereo when (1) in reverse or (2) the first minute after the engine is started. Lots of reasons, not least of which you can hear somebody screaming "Don't run over the baby".

[...]

Cool, I like that one also!

Not really sure what the answer is! It all boils down to common since, which for the most part was lost somewhere many years ago.

Personally, I stay busy with family, multiple organizations, work, etc. But have never found things so busy that I needed to text message constantly while driving.

And finding that some people have gone so far as not answering the phone at all, in less you text message them first with a why you are calling them. Rediculous!!!

Long live Amateur Radio!

Off to make sure I have everything to the MS150, catch you all on the net!

Louis

--- In W5SC@yahoogroups.com, Tom O'Brien <tpobrienjr@...> wrote:

Louis,

I would like to have a car automatically turn off the stereo when (1) in reverse or (2) the first minute after the engine is started. Lots of reasons, not least of which you can hear somebody screaming "Don't run over the baby".
<snip>

W5HW - Harry <W5HW@...>

Tom,

What ever became of this. Any news on it?

Harry

--- In W5SC@yahoogroups.com, "W5HW - Harry" <W5HW@...> wrote:

Tom,

What ever became of this. Any news on it?

Harry
<<<<snip>>>>>
It is Law! Normal use of our radio equipment is not effected, if you are using APRS or other means to send a written/text message, you are subject to a fine.
Text of the law follows or https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/rfcadocs/R_6548_20101015033023.pdf

SEC. 19-255 REGULATING THE USE OF HAND-HELD MOBILE
COMMUNICATION DEVICES WHILE DRIVING.
(a) In this section:
(1) HAND-HELD MOBILE COMMUNICATION DEVICE means a
text-messaging device or other electronic, two-way communication
device that is designed to receive and transmit voice
communication, text or pictorial communication, or both, whether
by internet or other electronic means. The term includes a mobile
telephone, and a personal digital assistant (PDA).

(2) TEXT MESSAGE means a two-way communication (whether realtime
or asynchronous) in which data (composed in whole or in part
of text, numbers, images, or symbols) is sent, entered, or received
by a method other than by voice and transmitted through either a
short message service (SMS) or a computer network.

(3) WIRELESS TELEPHONE SERVICE means two-way, real time
voice telecommunications service that is interconnected to a public
switched telephone network and is commonly referred to as
cellular service or personal communication service.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person uses a hand-held mobile
communication device to send, read, or write a text message, view pictures or written text, whether transmitted by internet or other electronic means, engage in gaming or any other use of the device, besides dialing telephone numbers or talking to another person, while operating a moving motorvehicle. This ordinance shall not apply to public safety personnel in the normal course and scope of performing their duties.

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense under this section if a hand-held mobile communication device is used:
(1) while the vehicle is stopped, out of the moving lanes of the
roadway;
(2) strictly to engage in a telephone conversation, including dialing or deactivating the call;
(3) as a global positioning or navigation system that is affixed to the vehicle;
(4) to communicate with an emergency response operator, a fire
department, a law enforcement agency, a hospital, a physician's
office, or a health clinic regarding a medical or other emergency
situation to prevent injury to a person or property;
(5) in the reasonable belief that a person's life or safety IS III
immediate danger; or (6) solely in a voice-activated or other hands-free mode.
(d) Only warning citations may be issued for the first 90 days following the effective date of this Ordinance so that an educational effort by the City of San Antonio may be conducted to infonn the public about the importance and requirements of this new Ordinance. Thereafter, a person convicted of an offense under this section shall be punished by a fine of up to $200.
(e) An offense under this section is not a moving violation and may not be made a part of a person's driving record or insurance record.
(f) In addition to enforcement by a peace officer of the City of San Antonio, this section may be enforced by a peace officer of another entity, including those employed by school districts, duly authorized to issue traffic citations within the City of San Antonio.

SECTION 3. That the remainder of CHAPTER 19 of the City Code of San Antonio, Texas will remain in full force and effect, save and except as amended by this Ordinance.

Mike Check K5UCQ

Yes, it is law, but virtually unenforceable by police. It's another "feel
good" law. Worthless....

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36 AM, k5stx <trailriding_texas@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In W5SC@yahoogroups.com <W5SC%40yahoogroups.com>, "W5HW - Harry"
<W5HW@...> wrote:

[...]

Pretty much!
What they did not do, was put the real teeth in it! Which is the phrasing used by some other cities, such as, if you are involved in a MVA while texting, that results in injury or death, the fine is xxx or xxx time in jail! If the accident involves the injury or death of a minor, the fine is xxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxx days in jail.

Cities that have used that phrasing, have actually seen a significant reduction of urban accidents!

Louis