2015 Skywarn Recognition Day Austin/SA NWS

Louis Upton

Corrected

At this time, it looks like we will only operate from 1800 hrs to midnite on the 4th.  We have not had adequate responses to fill the rest of the roster.

The 1800 - 2000 and 2000 to 2200 shifts are full!

Thank You!

Activity: 2015 Skywarn Recognition Day - Austin/San Antonio National Weather Service Office
Date and Times:
1800 hrs: 4 December thru 1800 hrs 5 December Local Time
Quote:
" SKYWARN Recognition Day (SRD) was developed in 1999 by the National Weather Service and the American Radio Relay League. It celebrates the contributions that volunteer SKYWARN radio operators make to the National Weather Service (NWS). On SRD, SKYWARN operators visit NWS offices and contact other radio operators across the world. Information regarding SRD is found at www.wrh.noaa.gov/mtr/hamradio/.
The NWS recognizes the importance that amateur radio provides during severe weather. NWS offices acquire real time weather information from amateur radio operators in the field. These operators, for example, may report the position of a tornado, the height of flood waters, or damaging wind speeds during hurricanes. All of this information is critical to the mission of the NWS which is to protect life and property. The special event celebrates this special contribution by amateur radio operators. "
End Quote
Annual our office attempts to participate the entire 24 hours, scheduling volunteers in 2 hours shifts, 3 Operators Maximum per shift.  We operate on VHF, UHF, HF, and various digital and internet based modes attempting to contact as many NWS Offices and individual operators as possible throughout the event.
Last year we were fortunate enough to have two - one hour time slots on the National nets.  We should have one if not both slots again this year.

Where do you fit in?
We need volunteers to fill these slots that love to be on the air.  All classes of operators are welcome, and like any other event, we can operate any frequency privilege to the highest licensed operator on the shift.

Do to several high profile activities occurring the same weekend this year, we anticipate being short operators on Saturday.  The decision to operate a full or partial shift will be made on Nov 10th!

Thus, sign-ups for time slots will be cut off on November 9th.  Do to time constraints, commitments and other, we cannot wait until the last minute this year to set the roster.

If you are interested in participating in this years Skywarn Recognition Day at the Austin/San Antonio National Weather Service office, please send a message to Louis - K5STX @ k5stx10 at gmail dot com.  Please do not reply to the list your received this message on.

You need to this by November 9th with:
Name:
Callsign:
Best Phone Number:
Time Slots available:
Friday
6 - 8 (NOTE: Slot full)
8 - 10 (NOTE: Slot Full)
10 - midnight
Saturday
midnight to 2 a.m.,
2 a.m. - 4 a.m.,
4 a.m. - 6 a.m.,
6 a.m. - 8 a.m.
8 a.m. - 10 a.m.
10 a.m. - noon
noon - 2 p.m.
2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Thank You for your time and efforts serving your community!
Louis - K5STX