Re: This weekend's BikeMS MS150 Ride to the River - Hams still needed

Lee Besing

We've still got a few rest stops on the BikeMS Valero Alamo Ride to the River 2 day event, needing to be covered with hams on this Saturday.  If you are interested in being a volunteer break point ham, please contact either myself (lee@...) or Charlie Land KC5NKK (kc5nkk@...).  NO background checks or driver' license record checks are required for break point / rest stop hams, only an online volunteer form to be completed.

Day one route goes from San Antonio thru Seguin over to New  Braunfels, similar to previous years.  But on Day 2, Sunday, the route changes from previous  years.  There are 3 routes on Sunday with different distances, and all three of them start / end at the Comal County Fairgrounds in New Braunfels.  Most communications will be via 2 meter repeater, with some simplex operations on 440. Medical will be on a separate set of repeaters both days, deigning to touch base with us lowly logistics mortals when they need our help.  LOL

Currently we've even got 2 hams who volunteered to do double duty on Saturday, relocating from rest stop #1 & #2, over to rest stop #6 and #7 (south and north end of River Road route).  But Rest stop #5 (Post Road, just off IH-35, south of FM306 in New Braunfels) is still unassigned. We also have nobody covering the Comal County Fairgrounds finish line on Saturday.

Many of the rest stop locations closer to New Braunfels can be worked using only a hand held radio on 2 meters, so even if all you have is one of those Baofeng HT's, you can still be involved in this event.

We've got hams driving in from the  Houston area, Austin, Pipe Creek and even Kerrville to help.  With all the hams in the San Antonio area, we ought to be able to field a full complement of hams, with a reserve list of more willing to serve.

My thanks to those who are already helping this weekend.

Lee Besing, N5NTG

210-771-7075 (cell - voice / text msg okay)

Lee@...

San Antonio, TX