AARO NEEDS YOUR HELP!- San Antonio Marathon this weekend!

Lee Besing

I'm sending this last minute call for help, to a list of AARO members,
former AARO members, and a few other lists.

YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED! Free T-Shirts!

WE ONLY HALF THE ROUTE COVERED SO FAR!

Please contact Lee N5NTG direct at "lee@besing.com" to volunteer.

Please share this request with your ham friends!

Once again, AARO has been tasked with providing Hams to assist the San
Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon on Sunday, November 11, 2012 We don't have
much time to get this organized, but we need volunteers at every mile
marker, and a few other odd ball locations along the route. We need about 2
dozen (minimum) volunteers to staff each of the assigned positions. Duties
include picking up the timing clocks prior to the event, then being on-site
at your assigned location prior to 6am, ready to turn them on when Dave
Espinoza W5QS gives us the countdown over the radio. We'll send out exact
locations for those of you who sign up to work the event.

Most assignments require being up & on location way before the chickens even
think about waking up. Traffic is a mess, and gets worse the closer to
6:30am you are. Mile markers 1 thru 10 are assignments that get done
quicker, but you have to be there before 5:30am (or earlier) due to road
closures. We get "all access" passes, but you still end up stopping at
every barricade to talk with the cops, and explain why you need to get from
point A to point B.

Sunday, November 11th, is the annual San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon, and
it's a fund raising event (so to speak) for the club. AARO receives a
donation in recognition of our assistance with deploying the timer clocks
and starting them when so advised by net control.

Friday, November 9th, at 6pm, is the time to pick up the timing clocks, from
the back parking lot at the Alamo Dome. That's Lot C, off Cherry Street.
If you take the Durango (or whatever the new name is) exit off hwy 37 / 281
in the downtown area, and go east over the big bridge to Cherry Street, you
will turn left (north) on Cherry Street and look for the sign saying "Lot
C". It will be barricaded off, likely with an off duty police officer or
security guard watching the entrance into the parking lot. I'll be on the
club's 147.38 repeater in case you need talk-in help.

Contact Lee via email at lee@besing.com to volunteer, or call him at
210-771-7075. Email preferred due to tracking of assignments. If you have
a preference on location, or limitation on time available for the day of the
event, please let us know. We'll assign locations on first come, first
serve, with preferences given for those asking for repeat locations from
previous years (to help minimize directional confusion).

A few of you have already contacted Lee for volunteering & we thank you.
Please confirm that you are on his list. We need your name, call sign,
cell phone #, email address, preferred location (or any limitations) & of
course your T-Shirt Size. Assignments will distributed via email, or in
person as needed.

Here's the plan, same as previous years:

1) AARO volunteers staff the start line and a minimum 22 clock locations
on race day.

2) Ideally, the volunteers have been pre-assigned a location based on
history, accessibility, comfort with location, time available to volunteer,
etc.

3) Volunteers report to the race compound in Alamodome Lot C at 6 p.m. on
Friday, Nov. 9. At that time, the volunteers will get their clock, case,
charger, tripod, course maps/specific location, passes, T-shirts, and any
additional instructions and information.

4) Race morning, one person reports to the start line area to broadcast
the race start (typically parking on the top floor of the parking garage at
Bowie and Market). All other volunteers drive directly to their post by 6
a.m. Note that the roads are closing earlier this year due to the inaugural
bike tour at 6:45 a.m.

5) Volunteers place clocks on the tripods at their mile location (mile
signs delivered by other course set-up crews) and stand by for race start at
7:30 a.m.

6) At the precise race start broadcast from the start (should be right at
7:30 a.m.), volunteers start their clock.

7) Volunteers park off the course, not in the roadway, but within sight
of the clock. During the race, you are there to watch the clock & of course
the racers.

8) Volunteers should know where closest medical station, water station,
and restrooms are on their course. They should see these when driving to
their location. If you see a medical problem, call the toll free 800
number that will be provided to you when you pick up your clock on Friday
night.

Do NOT transport the runners. Do NOT ask net control to make the call
unless you don't have a cell phone to call it yourself. NEVER GIVE A
RUNNER's NAME ON THE AIR! We use just bib #'s if we need to refer to a
runner at all, but net control won't have any direct contact with the race
officials, and we won't have anybody near the medical area, so use the cell
phone. We don't write the rules, we just have to observe them.

9) When the last runners go by (as indicated by the passing of the
official "tail vehicle") please return the clock to the case and break down
the tripod. The clock, case, and tripod will be picked up by one of the
course crews. Please do not leave the clock unattended after the race.

10) After their clock, case and tripod are picked up, your task is over.

All clocks started with the first runner start (should be 7:30am, not the
bike tour at 6:45 a.m. or the wheelchairs at 7:25 a.m.). If you have a
position that requires multiple clocks to be activated, turn them all on at
same time & then deploy to the designated sign locations or use multiple
persons. J

Lee Besing

210-771-7075 (cell)

Lee@besing.com