Tony fundraising for 7-year-old Mallory

Shane O'Neal <shane@...>

Team,

Many of us on these lists work either the BP MS150 Houston to Austin or the
BikeMS Ride to the River (formerly Bike to the Beach). And many of us know,
or have heard of Tony Ralf KE5ZTZ, the flambouyant VP of the National MS
Society, who is known for pulling stunts like dyeing his hair or shaving his
head every year to amuse his corporate and individual sponsors for an
extra $2K to fight MS.

Last year he rode a bike in the event in memory of his sister, Pauline. She
suffered most of her life from MS, but passed away last year due to cancer.
We hams tracked him every step of the way and provided up to the minute
status reports on his progress, which were followed by his loyal but
concerned staff who didn't want to see him end up as roadkill.

Because of his cheery disposition and crazy antics, few people would suspect
the tragedy that had befallen Tony before he came to work at the MS Society.
On September 11, 2001, the World Trade Center collapsed onto the building
that Tony worked in as a financial reporter, and killed most of his
coworkers. It also put him out of a job, which is how he and his wife ended
up in Texas. He started in a lowly position with the MS Society and worked
his way up to VP in a relatively short time, because he devoted all his
energy and passion to his work. I have come to observe that Tony is a deeply
caring and extremely powerful person, who is an eternal optimist despite
events which would have broken lesser men.

I started out working these events because I love to use my radio.
Fundraising for charity was a good cover, but I really wouldn't have worked
the event the first few times if it hadn't given me a convenient excuse to
practice my art. But as I have come to know Tony better over the years, and
seen how much he personally has at stake in the cause of MS, I've started to
feel a personal connection to the event that transcends even the joy of
managing a high speed tactical net with 60+ operators that spans 150 miles
of perilous, pothole ridden asphalt.

Ironically, Tony has also come to know hams better over the years and has
developed a keen interest in what we do. So much so that he studied hard and
got his license last year. The first year I worked the event, I was his ham
"shadow". Last year, I was his Elmer, and this year, he is his own shadow.

Please come work either event with us if you can. It is good practice for
ARES operators, and is what gave me the skills I needed to be useful in
Houston last year after Ike.

If you can't work the event, but would still like to help out, read the
message below. If you're not crying by now, you will.

73,
Shane NS5D