SARC Meeting - Meet the SM Candidates Night

Lee Besing

<http://sanantoniohams.org/blog/http://sanantoniohams.org/blog/?p=1983>SARC
Meeting Report – 07/09

<http://sanantoniohams.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/100_1940.JPG>
100_1940

Tonight was the big night, the night that all
three candidates running for the vacancy of ARRL
South Texas Section Manager would speak in person
before the San Antonio Radio Club during their
regular monthly membership meeting.

Amazingly enough, all three candidates showed up
on time and spoke, along with current SM Ray
Taylor N5RAV who is “retiring” from that position
(with no pension provided), and SEC Mike Schwartz, KG5TL.

<http://sanantoniohams.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/100_1936.JPG>
100_1936

Close to 3 dozen hams showed up for the forum,
and it was standing room only for the last few
who arrived. There were extra chairs, it was the
extra floor space to set them out, that was lacking.

The crowd was very polite and asked good positive
questions of each candidate as they got their 15
minutes of fame before the group.

After Gary S. Tangrady, K5GST, Lee Cooper, W5LHC,
and Lou Everett, Sr., WA5LOU each had time to
speak and answer questions, the STX SEC Mike
KG5TL addressed the group on the importance of
working together and cooperating during emergency operations and other events.

<http://sanantoniohams.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/100_1926.JPG>
100_1926

The normal meeting agenda was suspended to
allow the speakers to go first, then SARC
president JC Smith N5RXS suggested that the
normal reading of the minutes and treasurers
report be delayed until the next month’s meeting
due to both officers being out of town, and the
club being out of time. The agreement with
K-Comm Ham Store is that the club will be
finished and out by 9pm because an employee has
to stay there overtime during the meeting.

After the meeting, about a dozen folks went up
the street to a nearby IHOP restaurant to enjoy a
meal and conversation. Unfortunately, Mike KG5TL
had a bad experience when he discovered that some
petty thief had punched the door lock on his
truck and swiped his briefcase. Fortunately the
crook was scared off, most likely by an IHOP
employee stepping outside to take a break, and
none of his ham radios or other items were
stolen, and Mike said the contents were replaceable.

I took some videos of each candidate speaking,
but I learned a valuable lesson after I played
them back tonight and converted them to MP4
format, which YouTube.com prefers.

That lesson was…. don’t set your camera tripod up
mid way back in the room and in the path of a fan
that was blowing air across it. Some of the
audio in these video’s worked okay, those where I
had accidently moved the camera away from the fan
and closer to the speakers, but most of them are
too poor of quality to post online. The first
few were taken from too far away, and the
lighting contrast of the speakers was unacceptable as well.

Since I can’t post all 3 speakers with semi-equal
coverage, I’ve chosen not to post any of the
speakers. I’m sorry to have disappointed some of
you who were eagerly awaiting these videos, but
it won’t be happening this time. Better luck
next time, and I’ll make a stronger effort to be
more aware of environmental issues (like the
blowing fan) that might otherwise impact the quality of the recording.

Someone said the deadline for voting for ARRL
South Texas Section Manager was August 14th, i.e.
ballots must be received by that date, but don’t
take their word for it. Open your ballot and
read the instructions inside, and then follow
them to the letter. Don’t let your vote get
tossed aside because you couldn’t read and follow
instructions that were a lot easier than the Technican Exam.

73 de N5NTG Lee W. Besing San Antonio, Texas
(210)771-7075 mobile